Friday, January 30, 2009

friday night brownies

Friday night is the one time during the week that no work should be done.  It's a close second with Sunday afternoon - but with Sunday being so close to Monday...Friday wins.  Kyle and I usually spend Friday nights either watching stand up comedy or renting a movie.  It's also the night we are most likely to make brownies.  We have a weakness for brownies.  

So I made dinner tonight and put a little more effort into it that usual. Abby had gone to bed an hour earlier than usual.  We had some chicken with this cracker crumb stuff I concocted and mashed potatoes (with the skins still on of course) and some other things.  After we finished dinner we started our little routine - "whatdoyawannado?"  followed by, "I dunno, rent a movie?" followed by, "ok, wanna make brownies?"  and ending with "sure"

Then I remembered that I wasn't sure if we had enough vegetable oil to make the brownies.  So I told Kyle I would go measure out the oil and that if we had enough - we could make them. I go to the kitchen and while I'm getting out the oil and stuff I'm also cleaning up the dishes from dinner.  I guess in my multi tasking I failed to notice that Kyle had the bag of brownie batter (in its powdered form) in his hands.  As I'm measuring the oil - and discovering we only have half of what we need - I hear a *Poof* sound...

I look up to see Kyle holding Very still, eyebrows raised, eyes big and staring at me - his hands clutching a nearly ripped-in-half plastic bag of brownie powder that is poised to spill at the slightest movement.  The image of Kyle's face still makes me chuckle as I'm typing this.  Kyle was almost cradling the powder to his chest in an effort to save the mix from falling on the floor until he could transfer it into a bowl.  

Now, before the humor of his appearance really caught up to me - my first reaction upon hearing him rip open the bag was admonishment.  "Kyle! What are you doing? I said to WAIT until I'd measured the oil and THEN we would see if we could make them - we don't have enough oil - so NOW what are we going to do, huh?"  (the whole time I'm saying this - he's being statue still - brownie powder on his nose, lol)  It didn't take long for us both to just start laughing.  We laughed and laughed. 

Well, lets not let these brownies go to waste.  I look at Kyle and ask "can you use olive oil in brownies?"  It was a rhetorical question.  We didn't know - so, why not?  I used my olive oil to make up for the remainder of the oil needed in the recipe.  

Ok - so we have transfered the bulk of the powder into a bowl, but as I'm pouring the oils together (and kind of mesmerized by the swirling of the slightly different colors) I notice in my peripheral vision that Kyle is sweeping the spilled brownie powder on the counter INTO the bowl with his hand.  This may seem innocent enough - but you see, I hadn't finished cleaning the counters from dinner - and there was still some salt, pepper, and garlic that had spilled... right where Kyle was sweeping up the brownie powder. "What are you DOING!?" I asked Kyle.  He froze and looked up at me with those same big eyes that looks simultaneously apprehensive and confused.  With Kyle frozen like a statue - hand in mid sweep - I start admonishing him again for sweeping the leftover spices into our dessert...but I didn't get far.  About one sentence in and I am just flooded with a wave of the giggles.  

Well, why stop now? Olive oil, garlic - these brownies are going to be GREAT.  Kyle is laughing too now, and it was one of those moments that right when we caught our breath - one of us would make a noise and we'd start all over again.  

This is getting too long - but it suffices to say that it was good to laugh like that.  I was just filled with laughter and love for my momentarily not-all-that-helpful-but-well-intentioned husband.  And I just wanted to take a moment (or several) to document that snapshot in my life.  Someday maybe I'll come back and read this and remember and it will make me smile again.

And yes, surprise surprise, the brownies tasted funny.  :)

3 comments:

Ben and Bethany said...

funniest thing I've read all week :)

You probably already know this, but you can always use apple sauce or canned pumpkin instead of the oil (if you happen to have that on hand)

and next time - we need pictures :)

Billie Jo said...

Kyle, Laura, and brownies always make for a good story. :-)

Anonymous said...

I second the motion for the need for pictures!! Laura, your talent for descriptive writing has Dad and I still laughing out loud! We have actually SEEN that face on Kyle and can recall it well! Thanks for the great story and reason to laugh and laugh!

Love you guys.........Ouma

background

counter