Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Harold

Abby has lots of nicknames.  Probably too many to count.  We joke that the child will never know her real name because of this. 

Some of her nicknames are of the generic variety: sunshine, baby, princess, sweetie.  We probably use these the least.

Some of her nicknames are slightly more interesting: eaglet, starshine, Gina (as in "dang, Gina" you ate all that?), our little Flopcicle (thanks, Ouma)

Some of her nicknames are actually derived from her actual name: Abster, Abdigator, Abicus, our little Abigailien, Abbykat. 

But, I have a favorite.  She is my little Harold. 

 Yes. Harold.  

This comes from a literary character.  From a book that I thought everyone knew.  However, after an extensive poll of everyone I know - only 2 other people had actually read this book.  It's called "Harold and the Purple Crayon"  It's a great book.  And if you don't know it - you should read it.  It's a kids book.

Anyway, one day, Abby made this face.  It is my favorite face she makes.  She raises her eyebrows up as high as they can go - but keeps her eyes closed.  While she does that, her lips pout out like duck lips.  I looove this face.  It cracks me up.  So, the first time she did it - the way her eyes (or rather, eyelids) looked reminded me instantly of this children's book.  Abby looked just like Harold - the little bald headed baby with tall eyebrows. 

From then on, she was my little Harold.  It caught on with Kyle too - and we actually had to make ourselves stop using it so much.  So, now we just use it when she makes the Harold face.  I know that most people won't see the resemblance  - and that's ok...it is a bit of a stretch.  Nevertheless, it has stuck with us.  

Here are some pictures of Harold.


And here is mine.

4 comments:

Lauren McKnight said...

I see it! That face is to die for! I laughed out loud when I saw it! And thanks for the compliment on my hair! =)

Anonymous said...

Harold always reminds me of Harold Flowerers our friend and famous civil rights lawyer. He came to visit not too long after you were born and he told me I was one of the best mother's he knew.


granny in love

ps I sending Abigail. The turtle is for Mckenzie. They are both quite rattles.

hannah said...

i've said it before, but it needs to be said again...i CANNOT wait for this child to speak. her little personality is going to be unlike any other.

seriously, just admit now that she will be famous. for what...i'm not sure. but she definately will be famous.

that is the greatest post. i've never heard of harold. i know, i know...it's terrible. i'm going to ask my mom, the librarian, if she knows about him...

hannah said...

spencer just told me that she knew who harold was. maybe ya'll read that book together or something...

who knows. she is so cute!

background

counter