Friday, June 12, 2009

First Food!

It seems like sometimes I go days and days with nothing to blog about, and then all of a sudden, I have so many things I want to document - that I don't know if I'll get them all in.

Today is Abby's 6 month birthday!  But I'm going to save all of that glory for another post later today (I hope) 

Right now, I want to share Abby's first experience with "real" food last night.  She's been on oatmeal for a few weeks now and has loved it from the very first bite.  We decided that we would give her sweet potatoes as her first food.  We're making her food and trying to buy organically for her.  So, we went and picked up the goods and yesterday afternoon I tried out the new babycook food maker.  

I knew I would like it, but I'm really excited about it now.  It's really easy to use and it's fast and its easy to clean and...I'm glad I got it.  The potatoes came out wonderfully.  One potato was enough to give us 7 meals worth of baby food.  That rocks.  

So, we got Abby ready, grandparents standing by with their camera phones, Kyle with the video camera and me with the spoon full of beautiful orange goodness.  

Change is hard.  She took her first bite and then she looked at me.  Her eyes got big, her mouth fell open and we had instant tears and crying.  It was adorably sad. I had considered that she might not like the potatoes, but I never really thought they would make her cry.  We tried a few more bites (while taking tons of pictures of course) and then gave it a rest.  She did. not. like them. 

We made her some oatmeal as a reprieve and eventually mixed tiny bits of sweet potato with the oatmeal - which she didn't like, but grudgingly swallowed.  If there was too much sweet potato on the spoon, she would try to spit it out or gag.  Sigh.  

So, anyway, we have 7 meals worth - so she will be getting them for the rest of this week.  They say it can take up to 10 times for babies to like a food - so hopefully we'll get it in 7.  Enjoy the pictures. :)

somebody, save me.

idon'tlikeitidon'tlikeit

please mama, no...

hmm, this end seems safe
 
here dad, you try it.

4 comments:

hannah said...

i love the picture of her feeding daddy. she is so precious, laura.

and don't worry about her not liking it. pratt was super funny about the new textures too. i ended up mixing a tad bit in with cereal at a time. then more and more. and eventually, he liked it. you'll figure out what works best for you guys.

thanks for the sweet comment you left on the blog today. i have a lot to say back. so i'll message you or email you. :)

love you guys.

*Jen* said...

Awwww!
Sweet pictures. I hope she likes them better next time; we'll be starting Paige on veggies in 2 weeks -- I'm thinking butternut squash or sweet potato as the first as well.

Anonymous said...

Aw her crying face is just like Brylee's. It is so sad! But so sweet in the same way.

The ONLY thing Brylee would eat at first was the potatoes...and hated everything else. It does get better though :)

Ben and Bethany said...

who knew traumatic experiences could be so cute :)

background

counter