Sunday, June 7, 2009

new camera

Woot!  I got a new camera today.  I'm happy.  Not having a camera to use, was like not having bread, milk, eggs, or butter in the kitchen - you can survive - but it's annoying.

So, the process of replacing my beloved sony cybershot 7.1 was much more frustrating than I thought it would be.  I initially thought, well, I'll just buy the current model for the same camera, and everything will be great.  

not so much.

As it turns out, all the newer cameras have changed since I bought my wonderful little sony years and years ago.  The designs, the layouts, the functions, the features.  Most things were fine - not that big a deal to learn - but there were a few things than I discovered I cannot do without. 

I discovered, about myself, that I want a camera that has zoom controls as part of the shutter button - as opposed to having a separate zoom in/out button elsewhere on the camera.  I had never realized it - but the ability to zoom with the same finger  you take the picture with is something that allows me to shoot with one hand, and to make quick adjustments.  I never knew that that would be a big deal to me - but turns out, it was.  Of course, it also turns out that almost all of the newer sonys have the kind of zoom buttons that I don't like. 

Another thing I discovered is that I like a round shutter button that you have to press - a lot of the newer cameras have very flat shiny smooth shutter buttons, and there is not a lot of tactile variation.  I like a real button on my camera.

But, the most important thing I discovered, is that my old camera had one feature that was very hard to find in any of the new ones.  My old camera had the ability to focus on things that were very very close.  less than an inch away from the lens.  New cameras have the ability to focus on things that are 3-4 inches away from the lens.  Sounds insignificant, right?  It's not.  Some of my favorite pictures are maco-shots that get lots of details on close materials like flowers, wood, etc.  This turned into my main criteria.  I tried all the settings on dozens of cameras and just could not find one that was as good as my old camera.  

I was so disappointed!  I spent 3 days going between stores and searching online for reviews, tips, and help on finding a camera that could simply focus as well as my old one.  No luck.  I was getting angry.  Not only could I not find a camera that had good macro-focusing - the normal focusing features were largely disappointing as well.  

 I went to best buy again today to play with each one of their cameras.  Then, I decided to venture into a new section that I hadn't considered before - the section of cameras that are a little bigger - that don't fit into your back pocket.  

I was surprised to find several cameras that were within my price range (and many that were way over it)  I found one that I liked, and tried it out - it did everything I wanted it to do!  I went over to a computer in store and looked up reviews - all glowing.  The only question was - would it bother me that I can't carry it in my back pocket?  I decided it wouldn't.  So, now I'm very happy to introduce my newest little buddy, my sony cybershot H20.  


So, hopefully the next time I post, I'll have pictures again!  :o)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I want a new camera too. Let me know if you love yours! Can't wait to see how it shoots!

*Jen* said...

I'm aiming for a new camera for our wedding anniversary (next month), so I'm also interested to see how you like it :)

background

counter