Wednesday, June 10, 2009

soapbox of rainbows

As a department, we have great professional development trainings here in Boston.  At least I think so.  I might also be a super nerd, but I enjoy learning new things and such.  We've been lucky to have several big presenters come to talk to us about various topics.

Last week, we had a few groups come in to talk to us about LGBT issues.  Part of the presentation was a panel of individuals who gave their own personal testimonies about being gay or having gay children.  Obviously, it's a sensitive issue for a lot of people, and I thought that the presenters did an excellent job of being factual and respectful to all of the feedback and opinions.  

Regardless of your personal beliefs on the matter - as professionals, we are called to serve all populations, and being able to counsel or consult with an LGBT should not be something you're unwilling to do.  Now, having said that, if you feel that your advice would be overly tainted by your personal beliefs, of course you should be able to refer them to others - but I've heard of a few people who refuse to meet with these students at all.  I don't really get that.  Do you refuse to meet with Down Syndrome kids or students with missing limbs?

Religion plays a big role in people's beliefs about the LGBT community - as does culture.  A friend of mine recently said that she didn't think that faith and tolerance should be exclusive of each other.  And I agree.  Even if you disagree with the political side of issues, there is no reason to speak hatefully or condescendingly towards these people.  They ARE people - y'know, with real feelings and everything.  The point was made the other day, that LGBT individuals are usually the last ones that want to be so.  It's not a choice, people.  There's medical research to back that up.  

Anyway.  As for me, I got to help out with an issue at school today that allowed me to pull out all of my new LGBT resources and I was happy to feel like I helped the situation.  I'm making a mental note: must teach Abigail tolerance.  I'm thinking about getting more involved in the school GSA (gay straight alliance) just as a support person who will be available for anybody who wants to talk.  I want them to know that in a climate that is sometimes very difficult to exist in, that they've got somebody in their corner too.  

one of the promo postcards for a Boston LGBT organization.  I thought it was kinda funny.

5 comments:

Bobbi Sharp said...

Tolerance is a wonderful virtue to teach Abs and it's something I don't think many parents truly think about...

Jennifer Narrow said...

Thank you for posting this. I was in the bachelors program for social work, and there was one student who said she would NOT work with LGBT people. I couldn't understand why she was going into Social Work when she was going to exclude people with whom she would work with. We go into these professions so that we can help those that noone else will help.

Unknown said...

you go, laura!

Lauren McKnight said...

Laura,

Thank you for being brave enough to post on this issue. Too many people are ignorant of the issues that these individuals face. Teaching tolerence and respect for all is the only way tfor our society to progress.

jennybee said...

Go Laura! I wholly support you supporting these kids. Growing up is hard enough without all the confusing pressures and anxieties that being LGBT brings.

background

counter