Saturday, April 23, 2011

cake pops

Two posts in one night - can you tell I had coffee late?  :)

I decided to try my hand at these today.  Mine didn't turn out magazine perfect like the ones you find on google image search do....but I was pleased enough with them and they taste yummo - which is what really matters.

Here's what you need:
1 box of cake mix
1 can of frosting
melting chocolate
toppings of your choosing

Here's what you do:

1.  Bake the cake, let it cool, and crumble it into tiny pieces.  I think if you were to use a food processor or something to get the crumbs really fine, the pops may turn out smoother than mine.  But, I just used my hands, and it worked fine.



2) Add the frosting to the crumbs.  I didn't use the whole can - but almost all of it.

3) Put the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes just to help it firm up.

4) From mixture into balls.


5) Add sticks (my local store was out of lollipop sticks, so I used wooden ones).  I found that it work well if you dip the sticks in a little melted chocolate and then put them in the balls - the chocolate firm up and helps "glue" the two together.  Anyway, after you add the sticks, I put them back in the fridge for a while.

6) once the suckers are cool again - dip them in chocolate.  I just used white almond bark melted in the microwave and the used some white chocolate melting chips for colors.  The possibilities are endless.  Use sprinkles, nuts, marshmallows, candy....you could roll them in anything.

7) Let them dry!  Most people recommend you have a styrofoam block to stick them in - but I found that an empty egg carton worked really well too.


I wrapped mine in cellophane and added ribbons.  I'm going to add some tags later and put them in Easter baskets for neighbors and friends.

* as an aside - I think my sub-conscience must be slipping through because my Easter pops look way too much like baby rattles don't they?

Finished

It was a fun project.  Pretty easy overall - and really yummy.  Try it!

2 comments:

Bobbi Sharp said...

LOL...NO not rattles...definitely pops. :)

Anonymous said...

Aha! thanks for explanation and photos! Yours look perfectly delightful and happy and pleasantly....expectant! Like they're all dressed up and waiting for something....'course, they might all get eaten before you go into labor...but, maybe not! Love you!

background

counter