Friday, April 8, 2011

sweetness

Anyone who has dealt with toddlers...or maybe any child of any age...knows that they work in phases.  There are good phases and bad phases.   Phases of crippling separation anxiety, poor sleep habits, tantrums, picky eating and good phases too of course.

Right now?  We're in a really good phase.  This is coming off of a relatively bad phase of stubbornness, testing limits, and not listening.  And, yes, I realize that by blogging about this, the phase will end as soon as I click "publish"  But, it's been nice. 

Part of me thinks that Abby has been so good lately because she senses the changes that are coming.  As we put out more baby things and set up the equipment and talk more about it - surely she knows something's happening.  Also, her nanny's last week is next week and I wonder if she somehow knows that their time together is also limited.  

Regardless of why, this child has gone from normal toddler to an affection machine.  She has been so so so affectionate.  And I'm loving every second of it.  She kisses and hugs everything.  Everything.  Yesterday she gave the baby's pack-n-play 10 kisses and 3 hugs.  She wanted to count them, and then she came up to me and told me how sweet she was being.  And you'd better belief I reinforce the mess out of this.  She not only gives me hugs all day, but really really tight as hard as she can hug hugs.  I can't keep count of all the kisses she gives me and Kyle and baby.  She wants to give us hugs and kisses all day.  When she wakes up, before she goes to sleep, during an activity, after Mickey is over, during lunch, after I put on her boots.  Lots of love.  

The other thing that has been great is her manners.  She's really upped her game this week.  She's now a pro at saying "No, Thank You" When she doesn't want something and "Yes, please" when she does.  She also answers "Yes M'am" to requests (although, she hasn't learned "sir" yet).  She's a bit of a manners police sometimes.  And if you forget to say thank you, you're welcome, or excuse me...she'll remind you.  She's been doing a nice job sharing as well, and you can tell that she's very proud of herself when she does.  She's also recently learned how to ask to be excused from the table at dinner and she helps clean up the dishes and put them in the sink now too (I know, we're kinda late on making her help with that).  

Yesterday, I took her to the library.  At one point a little girl older than her asked Abby if she would like to read a book.  Abby said ok and the two girls sat at a little table together.  The older girl (probably around 8) read a story and showed Abby the pictures.  Abby listened and sat for the whole book.  Then, she turned around and saw me watching them, she grinned really big and said "Mommy! I Sharing! I sharing weally weally niiiiice!" 

And it's moments like those that make you proud.  And it's moments like those that you have to remember next week when she's refusing to walk and I'm dragging every ounce of her 28 lbs of stubbornness across a parking lot with 50lbs of groceries in the other hand, and it's raining, and she's screaming because she just wanted to zip her coat by herself, but you were in a hurry and did it for her, and she couldn't deal.  Then you have to be able to remember the smile from the library.  

Anyway, point is.  This is a really good phase we're in right now and I'm enjoying it.  She's such a sweet soul, and my heart just melts when she can't seem to give me enough kisses and she's got my face between her tiny hands trying to hold my head still so she can kiss me again and again.  Good good times. 

Let's hope this phase lasts a little longer that some of the others. 

I'll leave you with a few pics from yesterday.

Abby leaving the library with her books - she insists on carrying it by herself, despite it being heavy and nearly too long for her to manage.  She will not accept any help.  But, it's so cute, so I don't mind. :)


When we got home, the sun was setting, but there was still plenty of light.  It was one of the first evenings we've had where it was pleasant and moderate outside.  I decided there was no reason in the world that we needed to lock ourselves indoors right away, so we stayed out on the deck for a while while Abs played.  She played with rocks....and was extremely happy about that.

balancing act


She told me she needed to clean up the rocks.  She says, "I sweep them mommy" 
She wasn't deterred at all by the broom being too big to fit in the basket. :)

Besides, there are so many other uses for brooms when it comes to playing with rocks. 

Jumping.  Her most common mode of transportation lately.


Happy Friday everyone.  Today is my last day at work (officially) - maternity leave, here I come!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Look at those perfect straight lines of rocks. Clearly a sign of genius.

Linda said...

Yay, Abby!
Yay, maternity leave!

Love,
Granny

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I LOVE that last shot.

background

counter