Tuesday, September 15, 2009

big girl food

I've only mentioned it a gazillion times already - but I love feeding Abby. Well, the actual feeding is fine, but I mean more about the planning and the cooking.

I'm trying to branch out more - away from the world of single food purees and into the world of big girl food.

The biggest challenge with this is trusting Abby. She has to learn how to bite and to chew and while sometimes she does fine, other times she just tries to eat more than she can handle. So, its a learning process for us both. Me, trying to trust her with bigger chunks of food and her, trying to learn to eat them. I mean, it's hard for me to think of her as being able to bite and chew when she only has 2 front teeth. But, she can...she just needs practice.

So last night we did quesadillas. Whole wheat tortillas and some good 'ol american cheddar cheese. Simple.

Well, first of all, Abs l.o.v.e.d them. She'd never had cheese before and it was a hit. Unfortunately, that meant that she was eating it too fast. She'd shove pieces in her mouth before she'd swallowed the other ones and she started looking like a chipmunk.

She choked 4 times. Her mouth would open wide, her eyes would be wider and rimmed with red and tears, no noise, no air, just her trying to breathe. Not a happy mommy moment. I yanked her up from her chair and flipped her over and hit her back until I heard her cough and then she'd start reaching for another bite. Not even phased.

Anyway, it took me a little while to convince myself to let her try again. and again. and again. But, she ate just about all of it and seemed to enjoy it. I, of course, watched her like a hawk the whole time. And it took forever to finish them because I made sure she'd finished each bite before she could take another.

So, here's to baby steps...for mommy and baby.


1 comment:

*Jen* said...

Awww.
I 100% relate, with the branching out & learning how much to trust the eating skills, etc. :) We haven't had cheese yet either - but we tried a no-sugar banana bread this weekend & YoBaby yogurt.

background

counter