Monday, September 21, 2009

no rest for the weary

Last night I started feeling sick. Within a few hours, I had full blown aches, chills and fever. It was 101.1 when I went to bed. This morning, my fever was lower, but I was still achey and I could tell I wasn't "better" so I called in sick. I've only done that one other time since being in Boston. But, I didn't have a lot scheduled at work today and I thought it would be good to rest up.

By resting up - I mean getting up with the baby at 6:30am and taking care of her until it was time for her nap at 9. It would have been nice to pawn off the morning baby duty on Kyle - but he didn't even go to bed until nearly 6am. So, how awful would I be if I made him get up at 6:30? I'd be pretty bad, so I put on my big girl pants and settled in for a morning with the baby. So, then it was nap time. Oh, nap time...

Yes, nap time. In the past day or two, Abby has discovered that she can pull up to standing on things. Including her crib rail. The problem is she can't get down. So, whether its in the crib or holding on to the couch, or a box - when she's tired of standing, she just cries because she can't get down. She doesn't want to fall - but she knows no other way. This happens when she doesn't want to sleep too. So, today marks the first day that I can remember in her entire 9 month life that Abby refused to take her nap.

I let her cry for the full hour, then went and got her up. They say you're supposed to do that - then keep them up till the next nap time.

Anyway -back to my day - We got dressed and got everything ready to go and we went over to the new apartment to get the keys from the landlord. Then, I drove around with Kyle getting errands done before driving him to class.

When I finally get home with Abby, she's had a 20 min nap in the car. That's it. All day.

I post some stuff on craigslist that we don't want to move and am instantly busy coordinating when people can come pick stuff up. While I'm doing that - I'm trying to tape some boxes together. Well, turns out the sound of the tape dispenser terrifies Abs. She's just a big red faced screaming ball of tears. I decide that its better to just do them all at once than try to comfort her between each one. My attempts at showing her the tape dispenser was friendly had failed. So - boxes done, baby is beside herself in terror, so I comfort her. She's fine. But from then on, the lack of naps really started showing. She started whining and crying about everything. She only wanted to be held - but I had too much to do for that game. Sigh.

I make her dinner, feed her, all while answering a gazillion e'mails. Have I mentioned that I still have a fever - and ache - and am tired? Ugh.

The guy coming to get my desk said he'd be here by 5:30. At 6:45 he calls and says he'll be here in 15 mins.

I mean, perfect, why in the world would I want to actually let my overtired, cranky, and whiney baby go to sleep on time? That's crazy talk. He and his friend come for the desk around 7:15. The desk actually falls apart - but I convinced them that it would be fine, duct taped some parts together and told them good luck.

Now, Abs is asleep - at least I didn't have to fight her on that one. I SHOULD be packing something - anything. But, I'm not. I'm ranting on my blog instead.

I'm just tired, don't feel well, and I think I would have had infinitely more rest if I had just gone to work this morning. I'm definitely going tomorrow - there is no way I can handle staying home feeling like this.

4 comments:

Meg said...

Ok you know you are a mom when work sounds like a break!

hannah said...

oh laura. i have to agree with meg. if going to work is easier than staying at home...you're a mom. geez louise!

i remember having mono and trying to play with pratt. and all i wanted to do was lay in my bed and cry. it was the worst.

i'm hoping tomorrow is better.

i know i shouldn't have laughed...but the part about the tape thing being loud and frightening to her was so funny to me. i guess because pratt would be the same way!

feel better soon!

Cari said...

Bless your heart!! I hope you feel better soon! Hopefully it will all be worth it when you get settled into your BIG new place!!

Billie Jo said...

hope today was better. :)

background

counter