Thursday, September 10, 2009

trial by fire

Today was the first day of work - well, the first day with students back in the schools. Thus, it also meant this was Kyle's first full day as a stay at home dad.

Well, kinda.

We had to schedule her 9 month appointment for this morning as it was the only opening in almost a month. Our pediatrician is having her 5th? child next week - so, she'll be out for a little while. So, we all made the trek to the peds office together.

I'll write more about her 9 month milestones in a few days, but she weighed in at 17lbs 15 oz. Which is right at the 50th %tile. Then, poor baby, had round 1 of her flu shot as well has another Hep B shot. She was so sad. BIG CROCODILE TEARS. She was crying so hard that she could barely breathe. She was just sobbing...with tiny little gasps of air between.

excuse me for a second while I consult the mom manual for a refresher.....oh yeah, here it is - page 24, paragraph 3, and I quote -

"...being a mom means that you will always always always hate it when your baby cries when they get shots. It sucks. There is nothing you can do. The End. If you want to cry with them, go ahead, everybody will understand"

all righty. just checking.

So, yeah, poor baby suffered through them. Just when we got her calmed down and dressed and desperately clinging to daddy's shirt - it was time to get blood drawn. Kyle and I were both a little worried about this since when she had it done as a newborn, they couldn't get enough blood and had to prick her a gadgillion million times. Luckily, this time, it went fairly smoothly. Abs would disagree. Again, with the tears and the looks of betrayal.

So then I dropped of the daddy daughter duo and headed to work. I was happy to find that my fridge, which had accumulated a huge block of ice over the summer, had melted and that half of my office carpet was soaked...and the office was humid, and smelly. So, I used up all the paper towels I could find and then got called in to work on a project. I spent the next several hours trying to sort through a mess of mixups with distributing student T-passes. We all worked together and finished the job early - it was kinda fun, in its own weird way. So, finally, I had some time to organize myself. I'm entering paperwork things and our new secretary comes to tell me that my husband has called.

wha? He never calls. It must be bad.

So I check my phone, and, sure enough, have a voicemail. Its pretty vague, just asking me to call him. So I do.

So, while Kyle thought Abby was sleeping off her morning shots, she was apparently very busy making a dirty diaper. She then busied herself in learning how to take off said diaper dragging it around. Kyle walked in to find Abby sitting in the middle of quite the mess. Kyle was worried about the mess and Abby's shot "wounds" where she had picked off her bandaids as well. He was waiting on me to call him back to give him the "ok" that he could bathe her.

Obviously, I called and he bathed pronto.

Poor daddy. He's been working on a project for his class today and was counting on having just enough time to finish things before he had to leave, so this little interruption left him a little stressed.

Luckily, my co-workers understood and as there was nothing else for me to help with ( I set up fans to work on my carpet overnight) - they suggested I go help him out.

And so now, here I am, waiting on the icky laundry to finish. I just put Abs down for her second nap - but the change of sheets and lack of bumpers (yep, had to wash those too) has left her all too awake. She's in there babbling to herself quite happily at the moment. Sigh.

So, its been quite the first day. Busy for me, busy for Kyle, and well, busy for Abby too. Little stinker.

1 comment:

*Jen* said...

Laura - O-M-GGGG on the Abby mess!
I'm giggling a bit but feel sorry for poor Kyle! (and you, with the ick laundry. And Abby on her shots of course)
Yay on 50th percentile ;) We have our 9-month appt in 2 weeks.

background

counter