Friday, September 25, 2009

Dear Abigail

Abby,

Today is our last day living in your first home. The feeling of sadness that this brought up in me this morning caught me off guard. You see, I've moved a lot in my life - but I am usually more excited about the new place than I am sad about leaving the old one. But, perhaps for the first time ever, this home of ours has some very special memories for me that are making leaving a bit more melancholy than usual.

I realized this morning as I watched you scooting around our tiny living room that this apartment is special to me. It was our home when you were born. We moved into this apartment because we wanted to have a room for you - a nursery. You were the reason.

It was here, that your daddy and I spent hours putting together your crib together. It was here that I spent countless days decorating your nursery and dreaming about the day you would come. Here is where I sat in the quiet mornings feeling you kick as I watched the sun come up.

This is where we lived when my water broke. This is where we came when we brought you home for the first time. Within these walls is where your daddy and I learned how to be your parents.

Your first bath was on the kitchen counter, and your first photoshoot was on the couch. Your first meal was here - as well as every other first you've had since you were born.

I know you won't remember this place. And, really, there is nothing that special about the physical apartment itself - but the memories that we have of this place are special. You won't remember all the corners you like to hide in, or how you like to take the door jams off the door and chew on them. You won't remember that you have a beautiful view overlooking downtown boston from your changing table window. You won't remember all the wonderful staff that you've charmed again and again. You won't remember a lot of things about living here, but that's ok. That's one reason I write this blog - so that you can know what life was like for us...even when you couldn't remember it.

Your daddy and I love you so much. We are very excited about our new house. There is so much room and you are going to love it. There are stairs - and I bet you learn how to climb them in the first day. We even found somewhere with a great backyard for you. We're going to build snowmen in the winter and play in the sprinklers in the summer. We found a quiet street so we can teach you to ride a tricycle one day, and we're finally going to have a real dining room so we can eat meals together as a family.

There are so many things to be happy about. But, I just wanted to let you know that the place that we are leaving will always have a special meaning to me...and even though I know you will never remember it - I hope I never forget.








7 comments:

Bobbi Sharp said...

You're making me cry!!!!!

Kristen said...

You made me cry on a friday. As always beautiful words for your beautiful girl.

Brandy@YDK said...

that was so well-written. I loved it. it brought back all the memories of moving from our old house

hannah said...

oh laura. i am sobbing like a baby. the view is absolutely breathtaking.

abigail will remember her first home because of this.

as crazy as this will sound, i feel so proud to be a mom at this very moment. your mom must be so proud reading this...and knowing that she is semi-responsible for your raising.

thanks for the post. can't wait to see y'all over the holidays! i can be wherever whenever! yay!

*Jen* said...

So sweet! :)

jennybee said...

*bawl*

Heather said...

Aww Laura that was so beautiful. You have a way with words!

background

counter