Friday, September 4, 2009

outings, deals, and baby stuff

My dear friend Shelby has spent the week with us in Boston. It was a lot of fun having her around.

We got out in the city (and beyond) almost everyday and it was nice to see some things I've never seen either. In addition to the "usual" Boston sights, we took a day and headed down to Plymouth. We ate some shrimp on the beach, went and saw the rock, toured a Mayflower replica and did a little shopping. We did the freedom trail and did some tours that I'd never been on (Paul Revere's house and the USS Constitution). We took her to the Sam Adams brewery, which was fun as usual and spent an afternoon walking around Harvard. We had a girls night out with our friend Karen while Kyle babysat. After a nice dinner, we found a bar to hang out in and didn't leave till it closed. It's been a while since any of us had done that. ;) So - all in all it was a great week.

Here are some pictures of Plymouth - I've got others from the rest of the week that I haven't uploaded yet
maybe she has my chin.
Photobucket

classic new england beach
Photobucket

the rock.
Photobucket


Photobucket

mayflower replica
Photobucket

daddy and daughter
Photobucket


While we were out an about, Abby decided that she could, after all, hold her own sippy cup and actually drink from it. Well, mostly. She still somehow manages to completely soak whatever she's wearing when we just let her have the cup. But, that's fine. Apple juice has been a big hit and she also tried some banana-carrot-something else combo that she enjoyed.

such a big girl
Photobucket


So, in other news. Abby and I went thrift store shopping today. I love thrift stores. I mean, it's a process, and its not for everybody - but I think it is so much fun to find something perfect for next to nothing. We spent a little over 2 hours in the store (this is an amazing thing considering I had a baby with me - gotta love gerber cheese puffs). I came away with some great finds. I got some pants, some shirts. One pair of pants I found were the exact same ones I wanted to buy at the mall earlier this week - but they were $80 and I just couldn't. Well, today I got them for $5 and I'm thrilled. I do need to hem them...but I don't think that'll cost me $75 bucks. My other great find was this activity cube for Abby. I have a weakness for wooden toys. And bright colors. I thought it was a good toy that would be interesting as she grows. I looked it up when I got home to find that it sells for $130! I got it for 4.00, which makes me love it more. Abby played with it all afternoon. :)
Abby's activity cube
Photobucket


In yet other news. Abby Finally said "mama" tonight. I've been "practicing" with her for weeks. Then we hear her in the corner of the room, talking to her toys: "ma - mamama - ma - ma..." It sounded like she was trying to practice in private before trying it out on me. ;-)

Later in the evening, she was watching me cook and had a FIT of the giggles. I could barely look at her and she would laugh - so, since this is like a drug to me - I decided to actually make faces. That made her squeal. So then I decided to jump out at her, make silly faces, jump in the air, tickle her, eat her toes. Oh my gracious - she was beside herself! She would jump and scream out and then DIE laughing everytime I popped around the corner. We've never had her laughing that hard and it was fabulous. Kyle came in from running an errand and said "I could hear you guys all the way from the elevators" It was great.

Oh, and the whole time, she would periodically reach for me and say "mama!" I'm not truly convinced she's put two and two together - but I think within a few days she will.

So, fun times! She's absolutely amazing and is more fun everyday.

I'm going to try to be better about updating - I know I've been slacking a little bit. But, work starts on Tuesday (WHERE did the time GO?) and I'll have a routine again.

2 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Such a fun blog post. I miss you guys so very much. I think you should definitely share thanksgiving with us. :)

Anonymous said...

You are a thrift store genius!

Abigail said MAMA! Wow!

I love you so much.

Granny

background

counter