Thursday, September 24, 2009

how rude.

Kyle and I decided to hire a few movers to help us move the heavy furniture into the new place. Since we're living on the 2nd and 3rd stories - I wasn't sure Kyle and our 1 guy friend would want to carry all the heavy stuff alone.

The realty company we used recommended a place, so we called them as well as several other places. Turns out the recommended place quoted us the lowest rate - so they won.

I guess my first clue should have been when the guy (named William) said he would call me back the next morning to set everything up because he was too busy at the moment. But, that's fine. The next day, he didn't call. So around 2pm, I called him.

I didn't assume that he would remember me, so I told him what I was looking for and when etc... He says "Oh, right, I know who this is...umm, is your husband in Texas?"

huh?

He proceeds to tell me how he, I guess, assumed that since Kyle's phone number that I left him started with a different area code, that he thought he lived in Texas. When I told him we lived in Boston he says something like "oh, ok, I guess I could have called him this morning and it would have been ok then."

In other words: I forgot to call you, but I'm going to pretend that I was worried about some nonsensical time zone difference.

So, I let that slide and we go over what we need, when, and how much. I ask him if there are any other charges beyond the 2 hours of labor and he says there's a $13.00 fuel charge. Great. Booked.

Then we get an e'mail the next day of our order - an e-recepit I suppose. Well, it's $100 more than we had discussed. They charged us an extra hour of labor for travel time. Now, I'm not morally opposed to paying somebody to travel - but when they don't tell you, its a bigger problem. So, Kyle (husbands are great) calls the guy to sort it out.

So when Kyle asks him about the extra charge the guy gets really defensive. He's almost yelling about how "any company will charge you that" When Kyle said that our problem was that we weren't told, the guy just keeps stuttering and tripping over his tongue. Then, get this. He says "Its what I told your wife on the phone, about 30 mins of travel and an hour and a half of labor" Kyle says - "exactly, but you charged us for an extra hour beyond that!" The guy starts yelling again and Kyle asks if we can just cancel the whole order. The guy says "I think that's a good idea" and hangs up on us.

Way to be professional dude.

So, now, we don't have any movers to help us. I think I'd rather carry the tv myself than work the them anyway. And we'll be saving money. It won't be easy, but we'll manage. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Brandy@YDK said...

sorry you had to deal with such unprofessional --insert bad word here

on the upside - they won't stay in business long with that attitude

Ben and Bethany said...

My mother had some movers do something like this to her only after it was all said and done they charged her an extra $1000 and wouldnt give her her things until she paid! CRAAAZY!

It sounds like you will be saved more trouble than you realized in the long run :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I would call the Real Estate folk who recommended these Bozos about the "service" you all got. I bet the realty company doesn't know how poorly the movers behaved.

Also sorry I can't send you my brother to help you move. He is semi-pro after helping me move several times!

Thinking of you,

Y.

Anonymous said...

That's Boston for you. ;)

Raine said...

what a jerk. Im glad he didnt get your business

background

counter