Thursday, April 16, 2009

4 months etc...

We took Abby for her 4 month check up today.  Bottom line - I have a little bitty baby.  

At 2 months old, Abby weighed in at 9.10lbs.   At 4 months old, she's a whopping 10.2 lbs.  That means she gained less than half a pound in 2 months.  This isn't great news.  On the up side, she did grow nearly 2 inches in length.  Developmentally, the doctor says she seems healthy and strong - she's just - not gaining weight. 

Below are her growth charts for weight and length.  Her weight puts her between the 1st-3rd %tiles according to the doctor.  Her length puts her around the 50th-75th %tile. 
****I had to correct this because I had originally put her length in as a 3 month old - which told me her length was in the 95th %tile.  It is actually right on target around the 50th.  This makes more sense - as she didn't look like she was super long to me.  Sorry for the confusion, but now the graphs are right****


So, what now?  Well, on the doctor's orders, we went and bought some Fenugreek - an herb that is supposed to help increase milk production.  On top of that, I'll be nursing Abby more frequently and pumping right after and also giving her anything I pump right away - instead of saving it for the next feeding.  We go back in about 10 days to have her re-weighed.  If she's gaining - then all is well.  If she's not - then on to plan B.  Whatever plan B is.  Kyle and I think plan B is probably bacon grease. 

Also, the doc said that it sounded like Abby was on a good feeding schedule and that she is taking on the right amount of milk per day.  Her guess is that maybe Abby just becomes content so easily, that she stops eating before she's really done and doesn't ask for more.  Anyway, we'll see how things go this next week.  Oh, and if you've never taken Fenugreek - it makes you smell like maple syrup - so y'know, that's gonna be Great for my motivation to eat healthy.  I'm just gonna walk around wanting pancakes all day.  

Oh, and she also got shots today.  She did great.  She looked scared when she got them and cried, but was back to her calm chill self after a few sucks on her paci.  Poor baby.  Such a trooper.  And she didn't bleed this time - thank goodness.  

Abby decided to rock her new sunglasses from Kelly today!  Here she is saying " 'sup my people?"  Or maybe she's summoning the cameraman to come closer.  Either way, she had fun. 

After the doctor, we went to Whole Foods to get my Fenugreek.  On the way, I apparently completely lost my brain.  First I couldn't find my phone and figured I'd left it somewhere.   After about 15 mins of looking and Kyle calling - I suddenly think I can hear it and I find it - in my pocket.  Who doesn't check their pocket first??  Then we get to Whole Foods and Kyle is making his way to the store with Abs.  I turn to lock the car and realize I can't find my keys.  I'm digging in my purse looking for them and can't find them.  Did I leave them in the car?  Yes, yes I did.  I left them in the car - in the ignition - with the car still running.  What? Yes. I dunno. So, its locked and I have to call Kyle to unlock it (he's now waiting at the store front)  But, oh, guess what?  I can't find my phone again.  After several mins of looking, Kyle finally calls me and I discover that my phone IS in my purse after all.  Ugh.  Car unlocked, engine turned off.  Kyle gave me a hard time about that.  Fairly so I suppose.  We were both famished while in the store (not a good thing)  We walked out with 1 bottle of Fenugreek, pasta salad for dinner and 3 different loaves of bread.  I LOVE bread.  It was a pretty funny sight.

In other news: I tried the kickboxing class tonight at the gym.  I loved it - mostly.  It felt much more natural since punching and kicking is what I do (or did)  I was, however, extremely disapointed in myself when I just couldn't do some of the things I used to do.  I mean, I KNOW I've lost a lot of strength, I just don't think I realized how much until tonight.  I couldn't do a full situp - I couldn't do side planks either.  Oh, man, that was disheartening. But, on the up, the instructor complimented me on my kick form (lol)...oh, if she only knew. 

My friend Tanna is encouraging people who'd like to join her in a 42-day summer challenge to do so.  She has rules up on her blog - but the gist is no sweets, consistent work outs, no fried food, lots of water.  Until June 1st.  I'm gonna do it with her and I hope that she (and others) can continue to motivate me.  I know I have to put Abby first - and I am.  But I can't just sit around and not exercise either.  My goal is to lose 10 lbs in those 42 days.  I think that's do-able.  I just wanted to mention it since I'll probably be talking about it in the future. 

Sorry this is so long - we just had a lot on our plate today.  Tomorrow is our last day of work before spring break starts.  Yay!

10 comments:

Heather said...

She's a very adorable string bean. :)

Anonymous said...

At 4 months and not gaining weight you should be supplementing her with baby cereal and regular formula. Why something so weird as fenu....? Stick with the tried and true my dear!

hannah said...

i don't know who "anonymous" is...so i'm not trying to step on toes.

but let's see...if a pediatrician told you to do something...then i'm going to trust someone who went to medical school. i mean, i was there for a year...and that crap is hard. and your pedi was there for something like....8 to 10years.

second, sign me up for plan b.

third, don't let this get you down. my understanding is that nursing can be so difficult because you really never know how much a baby is getting...unless you're pumping and then giving it by bottle. anyway, it's rocket science. seriously...it is.

fourth, she is so freaking cute in that picture. and she's totally telling the cameraman to get a little closer.

fifth, watch out heidi klum...we're going to be smoking come june 1.

and lastly...don't feel bad about losing strength. i used to be sooo good at ab work. it took me 2solid months of doing situps to even get close to doing a side sit up. you know what i mean. i cried the first time i tried. i think the doctor removed my abs when pratt was birthed...

Kristen said...

I have to say - Bacon Grease made me laugh out loud.

Anonymous WTH? Do you live in 1950?

Laura, I took Fenugreek towards the end of nursing with Annabelle, it does work. Make sure you drink lots of water with it and you shouldn't notice the maple syrup smell. I didn't have any success with the Mother's Tea, mostly b/c it was so gross I found it hard to motivate myself to drink it regular.

Anonymous said...

I do NOT live in 1950, but I have basic common sense and when a baby needs more than just breast milk then that is what you give her. You do not need a medical degree to know this either. I would wonder if any of you have children and are so vastly experienced and knowledgeable yourselves? If Abby isn't gaining weight then what she is getting is neither rich enough nor satisfying enough so she must be needing more.....been there, done that, so I DO KNOW SOMETHING!!!! ANd I am anonymous because I do not have a blogger identity!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can't imagine telling someone to go against their pediatrician's orders (or trying to tell them how to care for their child in any way). How funny that everyone who posted does have children (babies, I might add).

Anonymous - I hope you weren't trying to insult Laura and the way she is taking care of Abby. It sures sounds like you are trying to insult her and the rest of us moms. Medical advice regarding babies has changed a lot in the past few decades, so maybe you should do some research before you dish out medical advice.

Heather said...

Laura-I have to agree here. YOU are Abs' mother and YOU know what is right and what is best. And you picked your ped for a reason, you trust his/her opinion. So I think you are doing the right thing. I know everyone has an opionion on how you should raise your baby (I get the comments too) but I think you are probalby too nice to tell them what they can do with their advice.

Anonymous said...

My name is Jacqueline Sole, I am Kyle's aunt and godmother, his mother's younger sister. I am posting one last time even though I assured both Kyle and his wife I would not do so. I will not be maligned by you younger mothers because I have a different opinion. I have stated my opinions through my experience and whether or not anyone follows what I deem to be good advice, then that is their choice. I am not insulting my nephew or how he is raising his child, but basic medical advice does not change that much through the ages. Right now I am being nice enough not to tell you guys things I would love to, because I am better than that, not to mention more mature. pediatricians are not always in tune with a patient's baby so one has to go with what one feels is best which is something I did and I have three beautiful, grown up, well adjusted daughters, all of whom graduated to formula and cereal by 2 months of age. As far as I am concerned this back and forth will now end...I will say no more here or anywhere else, unless I see that I am being insulted and falsely accused of being a "cyber bully" for stating my opinions!! Thank you.

Laura said...

Ok people.

I was really hoping this would all just go away. Let me just say a few things.

1) People have different opinions about everything. That's a good thing. AJ, I don't believe anybody is upset because you have a different opinion than them - I believe that the suggestion that we shouldn't listen do our doctor is what confused people. Also, I knew exactly who you were when you posted -you're the only one who calls me dear :) - but because there was no name attached to the comment - it kinda came across to some others like you didn't WANT to be identified, which makes the comment sound harsher than it was intended. Also - in regards to Hannah's specific comment. I don't find it to be in the least bit rude or out of place. She only said that she agreed that there is no reason not to trust what the doctor thinks is best. There's just no reason for us to go against her advice at this point - and she's right.

2) This whole thing has gotten ridiculous. How I've managed to hurt so many people by posting about my baby - I may never know. But its over.

3) I enjoy getting comments from people. I want my blog to be a place where people can feel "safe" commenting on things - differing opinions and all. So from now on, if I perceive a comment as being out of place or out of tone - I'll delete it so as to avoid further conflicts in the future.

4) And finally, I apologize for the ridiculousness of this whole ordeal. To everyone. It is all very childish really. There is no reason for it and I hope that this can now all just go away and we can go about being adults.

Meg said...

Laura-I took fenugreek for months. You really will smell like maple syrup, if you take enough. My LC told me that if I do not smell the syrup that I am not taking the right amount. I took 16 pills a day and Mother's Milk tea. You know from our board I never made enough milk for Edie, but the combo of those two did help. In the end I just didn't make enough. I hope the fenugreek works for you!
Go girls!!!
Kisses to your teeny beany from Meg and teeny beany Edie!

background

counter