Wednesday, April 8, 2009

sweat & sushi

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words on working out.  I have surrounded myself with people to keep me accountable - and it really does help.  

There is a lady at work (Iris) that asks me, everyday, what I did the previous day for exercise.  I have to report to her.  She also is "in charge" of making sure I finish at least one liter of water while I'm at work.  When I finish my liter bottle, I go show her...and she makes sure I refill it.  Yes, I can set up behavior plans for more than just kids.  She's taking her roll has my accountability person pretty seriously. Today we had a birthday party for a co-worker and Iris only let me have a tiny piece of cake and the smallest slice of pizza.  Then she sat there to make sure I didn't cheat.  Sigh.  God bless her. 

Anyway.  Tonight I tried a class called "body defined" which is a lot of slower, repetitious, reps with weights to target different muscle groups.  I enjoyed it.  But of course, now my arms are all mushy feeling.  I was rocking Abby to sleep after her bottle for a bit.  When I went to stand up out of the glider...my legs just didn't have it in them and I sat right back down, lol.  These are all good things.  

One more thing to note about exercising.  I am having a really hard time balancing the right combination of exercise and eating enough to maintain my milk supply.  If I weren't nursing, I would have no problem (I think) dropping this weight much faster because I could easily cut down on my caloric intake and up the exercise.  I eat decently - for the most part (especially the last few weeks) I've really been pretty healthy.  It's just hard for me to eat enough.  It's a strange feeling. But my supply has dropped - seemingly in direct proportion to how much I eat and how much I exercise.  I've increased my water drinking, maybe that will help.  Any suggestions on how to balance this would be greatly appreciated. 

anybody else concerned that right across the street from the gym is a cemetery?  I mean, when I said "that class almost killed me" ...I didn't mean it.  honest.

in other news.
For some reason, I've been craving sushi.  Not real sushi with raw fish, but the other kinds of rolls.  This is strange because I've never had it.  I don't even know if I'll like it.  But, I put on my puppy dog eyes, and Kyle and I just ordered some. So, we'll see!  

....
Ok sushi came and it was really good!  I don't think Kyle is necessarily a fan of the portions - but it was more than enough for me.  I think we'll be trying it a bit more often now though.  
We tried the california roll (crab, cucumber), Philadelphia roll (salmon, cream cheese), and something called the Fin's Special which was shrimp, bean sprouts, cucumber, and some other things....it was good.  
And to wrap things up.  Abby has been loving having Kyra around this week.  I mean, when else would she get to dress like this everyday?  :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I really struggled with that too. I think that is why my milk supply dropped so much...and then I couldnt keep it up with pumping while I couldnt breastfeed.

I dont know how long you plan to breastfeed...but I would just suggest eating as many healthy foods as you can. Fruits, vegies, all that. Because those calories can be burned, but you will have enough in you to make enough milk.

I was seriously eating all the time, but still losing weight because of the nursing. So I think you will drop weight even with eating alot of good foods. And then when you stop nursing....cut back even more. Hope that helps.

And thanks for the prayers girl. Means alot.

Linda said...

Fruit Juices!

Granny

hannah said...

i actually have a wealth of knowledge re: breastfeeding and weight. my best friend nursed for 6 months. and the doctor told her that she should actually be keeping weight on. this is because she had to double her caloric intake to keep up her milk supply.

so...yes, you might could lose some weight...but i don't think that getting back to your pre-pregnant self is safe...or necessary...or good for nursing right now.

later, yes. but not now. take that for what it's worth.

love you laura.

jennybee said...

I can tell you nothing re: milk supplies, but I'm glad you've discovered sushi. California rolls are the best way to get used to the tastes, I think. The first time I had sushi I just had a taste, which was a little weird. Then I went all out the next time and had a big sampler of stuff and I hated it all. Four years later, I tried it again, tentatively, and kind of liked it. The next day I was craving it, and now I'll eat it anytime I can get it. Good stuff. The wasabi and soy and pickled ginger are what really make my mouth water, though.

Also: I need an Iris. See if she can telecommute.

background

counter