Friday, April 17, 2009

the cereal question

Oh me oh my.  

So I have actually had more than a few people the last few days mention that we should consider starting Abby on cereal to help her gain weight.  It seems logical, right? Cereal being thicker than milk alone and all.  Most of the time, when I'm passing teachers in the hall or the conversation keeps running - I don't have time to really talk about it.  So, that's what blogs are for, right?  A chance to talk. 

So, here are a few reasons Kyle and I are holding off on starting cereal for Abby just yet.  

Some of the requirements for eating "solids" - cereal included are things she hasn't met yet.  For one, she can't yet sit up on her own, she's still pretty wobbly.  She hasn't yet shown interest in food, she can't yet make the chewing motion needed.  Another reason it is recommended to wait to start foods is so that the baby's digestive tract can fully develop.  Especially since Abby is still so small, there's a chance that her tract hasn't matured enough to adequately digest solid food...at least not without some discomfort. 

One teacher at school suggested that we start putting rice cereal in her bottle - to "thicken it up"  She is a very nice lady with good intentions.  But, rice cereal does not have near the nutrients that milk does.  By putting rice cereal in the milk - you are just replacing the milk and actually decreasing the number of calories and nutrients that she gets.  

Really, the thought that rice cereal helps babies gain weight is somewhat of a myth.  Rice cereal is not introduced for caloric benefit but just to teach the baby how to eat.  It gives them practice chewing, swallowing, eating off of a spoon etc.  When we do start cereal - it will in no way replace any of the milk Abby gets, but it will be more like an "exercise" in eating.  

Another thing I learned recently is that the longer a baby is fed only breastmilk, then the less likely they are to develop food allergies later.  Now, neither Kyle or I have any food allergies - but it's just another reason we're not in a hurry. 

As far as Abby's weight goes, the pediatrician thinks she is underweight because she is not eating enough - not because what she's eating isn't working. So our plan is to feed her every 2 hours whether she seems hungry or not.  Also, after she nurses, I will pump and feed her what ever is left right away.  I think Kyle and I both feel pretty confident that increased feedings will be enough to get her to gain weight.  Like I said earlier- she is otherwise a perfectly happy and healthy little girl.  Obviously, we'll follow our ped's advice and expertise in this area, but she seems to think that Abby will be fine on milk if we just give her more of it. 

Oh, and I'd also like to say that I have many many friends who have started their babies on cereal who are around Abby's age.  I am a big believer that everybody should do what they think is best for their baby and I just want to be clear that I think that people who start cereal early are just fine.  If it works for them, great!  Maybe if Abby were bigger or a little stronger or showing any signs of being interested then I'd be doing it too.  But for now, We are hoping to wait as long as we can before starting her on cereal or solids. 

I know a lot of the people who read this blog are mothers, so feel free to share your experiences - they are different for everyone.  Here is one of many links I found to be helpful.


11 comments:

hannah said...

i will fall back on what i ALWAYS say....

you do what you think is best. you're her mommy.

pratt was started on rice cereal around 3 months of age. i did it because he was spitting up. and i was told by the doctor that it would thicken the formula...thereby keeping it down.

as you know, to this day...4 months later...he's a skinny little fella.

my understanding is that often with nursing, you see this issue as far as the baby not gaining as much as you would like. and i have always been under the impression that it's because they aren't getting enough milk.

which is exactly what you said.

you're one of the smartest people i know. seriously...in so many areas. trust your gut.

much love laura! enjoy your spring break with that sweet baby!

jennybee said...

Is it bad that this post totally made me crave Golden Grahams?

(Sorry got no advice. It at least sounds like you know what you're doing, though.)

Yvonne A said...

I'm with Jennifer on this. I want some Golden Grahams. If it helps, (from an old woman with no children), I think you are doing just the right thing. Maybe you could have some high fiber pancakes with your maple syrup. Makes sense to me.

Jessica said...

You & your Ped know what's best for Abs :)

FWIW, we're not starting on cereal until Penny is 6 months old. She sits up great and is interested in food, but we want to be sure her digestive tract is fully mature. Plus our Ped wants us to wait. But you're right, every baby and family is different!

Does your Ped want you to wake her up at night to eat too? Or just more feedings during the day?

Laura said...

Jes- Abs sleeps 12 hours straight - there's no Way I'm touching that, lol ;-) Yes- our ped said day feedings during the day should be enough. *whew*

Jen & Y - you guys are silly and I heart you both.

Hannah- it is rocket science, you're completely right. It's amazing our species has survived at all. :)

Anonymous said...

I started you on cereal when you you were six months old. You were light and also short. I read breastfeeding material and was
so much impressed by the advantages of that. You were so alert and healthy.Like Abby you were usually a very content and happy baby.
I'm going to computer stroll over to the La Letche Leaque site and e-stroll around.

love,Love, LOVE You!!!
Granny

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Bobbi Sharp said...

ITA, Bella will wait till at least 6 mo before starting any solids. The ped told us at 2 mo he would give the go ahead at 4 mo, but I am not ready for that nor is my daughter's system. I agree to each their own. Someone suggested the other day that I give her apple juice. I don't think so! Good luck w/ Abs. I know when we had a set back I had to "force" feed her every couple of hours and once she got in the habbit she took over from there and started putting back on the weight.

Anonymous said...

Hey about the bag...

You can go to:

www.mythirtyone.com/laurarose

Thirty one is the company.. SUPER cute stuff. And they monogram everything! So check it out. Let me know if you have any problems with it...

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Good luck with Abs' weight gain- we've had a lot of pressure from well-meaning family and friends to start Gracie on cereal. Back as far as two months ago, people insisted she would sleep better, be happier, and not cry so much if we'd JUST give her cereal. I think she's getting close to ready right now, but I also know she was NOT ready sooner, and it wouldn't have fixed everything wrong with Gracie, either. (my GOD, if I thought for a second that it would, I think we all know what I would've done, lol!)

Wordweaver said...

All things being equal, it may be more important to keep up your calorie/fat intake than to lose weight right now and worry about your figure right now....You have only a few months to breast feed. Much longer to get back into shape. Look at some of the breast feeding sites for suggestions. Love you! All three!

Grandpa

background

counter