Tuesday, April 7, 2009

the gym

Abby is almost 4 months old and I would really love to be wearing something other than maternity clothes the rest of my life, so I'm joining a gym.  

What?  I thought you had a gym in your building, Laura.  Yes, we do.  But it is small and the only times I can make it down there to work out, there are a lot of people in there.  This makes me not want to work out - or wait on somebody else to finish.  On top of that - I get bored.  About 12 mins into a jog, I'm not tired - I'm bored.  The TVs help - but it wasn't going to cut it.  On top of That, I need somebody to push me.  Somebody to tell me to keep going - somebody to keep me accountable. 

So I found this place.  It's a women-only gym.  With childcare.  It's very nice.  Of course, that means its not cheap either.  I could find someplace cheaper I'm sure - but not somewhere with childcare that is as close to where we live.  I haven't found one negative review - and I've looked.  People tend to think you get what you pay for there.  I'm hopeful.  

I decided to take advantage of a free 3 day pass - to try out some classes and equipment to see if it really is what I want.  I did kickboxing yesterday.  

It wasn't exactly what I expected (more like 2/3 cardio/areobics and 1/3 kicking)  But, it wasn't easy!  About half way through I wanted to stop.  The key word there is Wanted.  I wanted to - because I'm out of shape and I was tired and it was hard. But because I was in a class - and there were others there - quitting wasn't an option!  Of course, by the time I was done - I was proud of myself for doing it and I felt great today.  

Well, I feel sore today.  But that's a great feeling.

Today I went back and just played on their equipment.  I love that you can watch the nursery as one of the tv channels.  I walked for a mile and then did a nice arm routine.  Again - sore sore sore. But glad. 

I think I will officially sign up next week - but wish me luck.  I'm optimistic.  I can't walk, perhaps.  But I'm looking forward to it. 

5 comments:

hannah said...

it's hard. i know. every time i dread putting on clothes that shouldn't still fit me...i remember pratt. and remember that it's all worth it. and instead of being mad at him...i'm mad at my husband.

:) make sense of that....who knows, right?

Billie Jo said...

yay! so proud of you...i've been encouraging you everyday from the other side of the country (even if you don't always here it)... worked out at tkd again tonight and am enjoying it... now if I can only get motivated to test. ;-) *hugs*

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you! This will be the best thing you do for yourself, I promise. The first few weeks is the hardest....keep it up and you will be glad you did!!

Lauren McKnight said...

I'm so proud of you! I don't have the motivation to work out. Hopefully this will inspire me. If you can do it with a baby, then I can do it without one! ;) Keep us posted on your progress!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm proud of you! By the way, have you heard of kid exercise. For instance, you prop baby up while you do a sit up. It's fun.

Granny

background

counter