Thursday, April 2, 2009

family of 3


On April Fool's Day last year, I found out I was pregnant.  Oh, how far we've come!  

I remember looking at myself in the mirror after seeing those unbelievable crosshair lines and thinking that I didn't look like myself.  I didn't feel like myself either.  It was very much like I was watching myself from a distance.  I didn't know what to do. 

I decided I needed another test.  I put on my coat and my ipod and walked down to the nearest CVS listening to the most calming music I had.  I saw several people with strollers and babies on the way and thought that it was weird that I had never noticed how many people had babies before.  The music and the cold air helped me relax. 

After getting home and taking the next 2 tests with the same results - I sat in the middle of our apartment and cried.  Then, I called my insurance (I told the insurance lady that I was pregnant.  She said "Congratulations, how far along are you?"  I said "about 10 mins"  She laughed and was very helpful from there on out), found a doctor, set up an appointment, and sat down and turned on TLC.  I watched a few episodes of "A baby story" and waited for Kyle to get home. 

When he got home, I let him change and tell me about his day for a bit.  When he inevitably asked "how are you?" I think I just said "you should sit down"  I went and sat next to him on the couch and our exchange went like this: 

Me: I think I'm pregnant
Kyle: Why?
Me: Well, I know I'm pregnant.
Kyle: Why?
Me: I took 3 tests.
Kyle: (silence)

At this point I broke down into big ugly heavy sobs and Kyle just hugged me.  I just felt him take slow deep breaths.  The first thing he said was, "Well, we're going to need prenatal vitamins"  And he made me get them that night.  I love that. 

And now here we are - with little Abigail Katherine a normal part of our day to day.  What a journey its been - I can't wait to see what's down the road!  So today I'm celebrating my family - my own little family of 3. 


4 comments:

hannah said...

isn't it funny how you can't imagine life without her now. and i'm sure as you sat there and cried one year ago, you couldn't imagine how you would juggle a baby, and a brand new career?

and look how awesome you both are.

babies are such blessings. much love to you three, laura.

Bobbi Sharp said...

I love your story...

Anonymous said...

Oh my...I thought you were blogging that you were pregnant again!!! Wow. Cute blog!

Anonymous said...

What a beautifull story. I'm gld you got TLC when you found out. A receptionist called out 'Armstrong'. Before we reached the desk, she just loudly exclaimed that I was pregnant with you. I'm so glad Roger was there.

Love you all.

Granny

background

counter