Sunday, April 26, 2009

farmers market

Today Abby and Karen and I went downtown to check out the farmer's market.  It was great.

As promised, we had some pretty warm weather today.  It was at least in the high 70s here, maybe into the 80s.  Unlike the south - people up here don't know what to do with this kind of "heat" when it lasts for a while.  But today, on the first summery weekend of the year, I think the entire city was outside.

I took the bundle me out of Abby's carseat today and I wore flip flops all day long (there is no way to tell you how much I love flip flops - but I would wear them year round if I could).  Abby wore a skirt for the first time, and while we made sure to keep her cool and in the shade as much as we could - the poor girl was sweating with the rest of us by the end.  Either way, we had a good time.

I was so excited to buy the fruits and veggies at the market.  Who knew how much you could buy?  Let me tell you what I got: 

15 tomatoes, 4 red peppers, a Huge bag of spinach, 2 bunches of asparagus, 7 plumbs, 7 pears, a 5lb bag of apples, 5 huge naval oranges, a box of strawberries, a pound of grapes, and a bunch of bananas.  

And how much did that cost me?  $18.00  I dunno about you - but my grocery store would have cost a lot more than that.  The farmers market may end up being a weekly trip for us. 

mmmm.
An excited Karen and a tired Abby
Trying out her standing legs - she would not look at the camera. we tried. :)

After the market, Karen and I enjoyed some all fruit smoothies before jumping on the T to head home.  Of course, by this time, Abby has missed her afternoon nap, is hot, tired, and ready to be home.  She did ok for about half the ride home and then just decided she was done.  Poor thing.  In an attempt to pacify her,  I put some water in her bottle.  This was a first.  She drank for about 1 min before she caught on that it wasn't going to get any better than that.  Then she was Doubly done.  So there I am - that poor woman on the train with the screaming baby.  Karen had gotten off at her stop.  I eventually get her resettled into her carseat and with a little rocking action, she passed out.  I started to worry about how I was going to get her stroller off the train by myself.  Since we live at the end of the line, there was only me and a really old man on the train.  There were 3 really steep steps to get off the train and here I have a heavy stroller loaded down with bags and bags of veggies.  Luckily, the driver was nice enough to help me out. 
on the way downtown

Needless to say, Abby passed out when it was bedtime.  I think she had a good day though.  She is so observant and quiet.  She was staring at the fruits and veggies with wide eyes most of the time at the market - and there were so many people around.  I can't tell you how many people commented on her.  So, a tiring day, but a good day.  

In other news, Kyle comes home tomorrow afternoon.  He was awarded his scholarship tonight and got to make a speech at the convention and everything.  I think he's having a good time at the conference.  He called last night to tell me that he is now the secretary for the MA chapter of this organization.  I think he found some students his age and enjoyed hanging out with them quite a bit.  I'm glad he got to go to the conference and have a few days "away" to do some things that he enjoys.  He's such a great fella. 

Ok.  So it's 2am and after crashing on the couch earlier tonight and waking up to reruns of desperate housewives, I think I should probably head to bed.  Tomorrow is my last day of vacation (boooooo)  so I'd best rest up to make the most of it. 

I'll leave you with a picture of Abby's impression of the dramatic hamster.

such a ham


2 comments:

April S. said...

Your daughter is precious!! and the farmers market is such a great idea... I have never been, but after seeing all the stuff you got, I think we need to make a trip there!

Also, congrats to you husband for getting the scholarship!
(I am doing the 42 day challenge with you and found you that way.)

jennybee said...

mmmmmm

background

counter