Monday, October 27, 2008

dissection of a song.

Every so often a song comes out that just sticks with me.  It gets in my head and won't leave.  Right now, this is Coldplay's song Vida La Vida.  I am totally loving this song.  I started craving this song like I might crave a really good sundae.  It got to the point that I decided to take a moment for some introspection - to pinpoint Why exactly it is that I liked this song so much.  

I think I've narrowed down a few of the factors. 

1)  It has strings.  I tend to like songs that use violins, cellos and the like.  This song has the added bonus of using these instruments to create a constant driving beat throughout the song.  This driving beat creates an energy that I like in the song. 

2)  It has bells.  During the chorus, they hit a big bell several times.  This is enhanced by the line in the song "I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing"  The bell is hit during the off beat and I love it.  This is my favorite musical component of the song.  I also love that the lead singer mimics hitting the bell while he sings the chorus. 

3) Religious imagery.  I'll get into the meaning of the lyrics in a moment, but this song is full of religious imagery and allusions.  I'm not sure yet if I like this in all songs, or just the way it is done in this song - but it makes me listen to the words more, and that's always a good thing. 

4)  The meaning of the lyrics.  There are many many many theories out there.  I've read about people who think this song is about Bush (I don't think it is, and like the song less when I try that theory on for size), Caesar's reign (could be, but I think it was later that Caesar), Napoleon's fall from grace  (probably the most compelling theory as far as historical accuracy), and even Jesus himself (this theory has some interesting points to be made, but I don't think the whole song can apply).  All that being said - I don't know that this song is about one single historical figure, but I guess it could be.  It's certainly about somebody who was once in power, but lost his power....and is now reflecting back on his life. 

5) I think another reason I like this song so much, is that the subject matter is somewhat melancholy, but the song is pretty upbeat.  This clash of ideas appeals to me.  

6) And finally, I like this song for several specific lyric lines. My favorite though, is in the chorus: "Be my mirror, my sword, my shield" I know this is probably an old phrase, but I like it.  Reflect me, defend me, protect me.  

So, without further ado...  Here is a video of the song as well as a link to the lyrics.  

7 comments:

jennybee said...

It's a great song. I love Coldplay for their sheer musicality (strings, bells, it all comes together). I think of all the bands I know out there now, they're the ones with the best chance at real longevity. They played this one on SNL the other night.

Anonymous said...

yes, the strings and bells...oh, i've heard this song on the radio in bits and pieces.....thank you for posting the video and lyrics---you've made my day!

hannah said...

i have been in l.o.v.e. with chris martin since yellow. when he had his head shaved. something about a shaved head. i love it.

it is a great song. lyrics always, always get me. these are great.

also...email me your address. physical one.

jennybee said...

Yeah, I also love Yellow. Especially when they played it on SNL and Chris Martin followed up the last line, "The stars they shine for you" by saying "Barack Obama!"

Warm happy political/lyrical/musical melding for me there. Probably not so much for McCain fans, though.

Melissa said...

I thought it was about fame and back in the day Coldplay was a lot more famous than it is now.

I just thought the religious and historical imagery was to show that it's always been that way. people build you up and tear you down.

Laura said...

Just goes to show that lyrics can hold many meanings for different folks. :)

Anonymous said...

i had been watching Marie Antoinette with Kirsten Dunst when I started hearing this song so that is what pops in my head when I hear it.

background

counter