Thursday, March 31, 2011

37 weeks

I tried to post this last night, but I fell asleep.  That pretty much sums it up.  ;)

So, 37 weeks.  I (technically) have 3 weeks left until mini-mut makes his/her debut.  The general opinion seems to be, however, that s/he will be here before then.  

At this point in this pregnancy, things are progressing very differently than with Abs. With Abby, I felt the same at 40.5 weeks as I did at 30 weeks.  I had braxton hicks contractions on occasion, but I had no other sign (that I recognized) that labor was in the near future.  And for good reason - even after my water broke, I still never had contractions.  10 hours later they gave me pitocin to try to get my body to shape up and cooperate.  10 hours after that, Abs was born.  

But, I didn't have the typical experience.  I never got to feel real - non-induced- contractions, I never had to time them until it was time to call the doc, I never did any of that kind of thing.  

So, at 37 weeks with #2, things are different.  I've had Braxton Hicks for over half this pregnancy, but this last week, they've gotten stronger and more frequent.  I've also experienced contractions in my back for the first time.  They're uncomfortable and I might even go as far as to say mildly painful at times, but they are irregular.  Yesterday, after my doctor's appointment, I started having deeper contractions in addition to the other two types.  The three different kinds (Braxton, Back, Deeper) just alternated for most of the afternoon and evening.  But, they've calmed down as of this morning. 

I went in yesterday for a non-stress test, I'll get them weekly just to monitor baby.  It was lovely.  I got to sit back, relax, eat graham crackers and apple juice and just listen to the baby for 20 mins.  I got to see my contractions on the monitor, which was nice because it gave some credibility to what I thought I was feeling.  The nurse seemed surprised that I hadn't mentioned them my doctor yet as I was having them semi-regularly during the test - but I explained that they'd only been happening for a few days and they were quite irregular. 

After the NST, I saw my doc and she says I'm at 1cm.  That doesn't mean too much other than my body is just getting things ready this time.  I could still have this baby late, or I could have it this weekend.  I don't know what to expect, and neither does anyone else.  But, I suspect this baby will come at least a little early.  I can certainly feel like the baby has dropped at this point.  I can eat more, and walk less.  My  hip, leg, and pelvic bones all feel like they're being pulled apart and pounded on - bruised perhaps.  

I've decided to try to take some more time and start my maternity leave earlier.  If that gets approved, my last day will be April 8th - a week from Friday.  That's kind of exciting.  

Last night I was giving Abs a bath and she, suddenly, asked to be put on the potty.  She's never done that before, so I didn't waste the chance.  We ended up sitting there for probably 20 minutes.  She never did anything, but we had fun playing and talking and laughing.  She really wanted to play with baby.  She kept tickling and hugging baby and she likes to put both hands on my belly and say "Gotcha Baby!"    So, I had Kyle snap a quick pic on his phone so that I can remember that fun little moment we had.  


So, until next week, I'll be here - working and mommying and taking advantage of anybody who would like to rub my back in between.  :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Laura I care so much about you. I'm really glad you are asking to start maternity leave early. I sure don't know when, but it sounds like mini-mut may be here somewhat early. It means so much to me that you keep me so well posted. God bless you all.

Granny

Cari said...

What a sweet pic!! I love the update. I have been thinking of you often and wondering if more pink or new blue will be in your future! I'm also hoping the baby comes a little faster for you this time. Love ya friend!

hannah said...

i love how you don't complain. it's totally your personality. i mean, you didn't say anything about the contractions to the doctor or nurse because you don't want to bother anyone.

you're so great. i can't wait to meet this baby. even though i already know it's a boy.

i love him already.

hannah said...

ps. does it feel like just yesterday we were emailing each other about being pregnant?! why has time flown by!?

Yvonne A said...

Of course I am excited about the imminent arrival of a new great neice/nephew but what intrigues me in this blog entry is the non-stress test. At last, a part of life not defined by stress!

Anonymous said...

I *love* this picture! If I hit the road now I might can make it to Boston in a few days for that back rub. :)

~Leah

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I timed contractions with both girls and feel sad that I never had the big "omg my water just broke!!!" moment. funny.

Cannot wait to see mini-mut:)

*Jen* said...

Exciting!!

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog like crazy just to make sure there are no "announcements." Happy last few days/weeks!

~Leah

background

counter