Monday, March 14, 2011

sequin covered mom hat

(....I had originally titled this post "happy thoughts" But, after writing it, I realize that it's just me bragging about my kid.  Heh.  Deal.)

Let's focus on the good today.  Because, there really is SO much good.

Over the past week or so, I've started composing a letter to Abby in my head several times.  But, when I sit down to write it, something happens and I get distracted or my mind goes blank.  But, there are things I want to tell her, and things I want to record.  Most of these things boil down to the idea that she really is the light of my every day.  Brace yourself folks, I'm about to put on my mom hat.  It's big, bright, and shameless...with flashing lights...and covered in brag buttons...and sequins, naturally.

Abby is amazing.

She is so smart.  I think that phrase comes out of my mouth every single day in response to something she's said or some connection she's made.  Little things.  I mean, she's not solving physics equations yet or anything...but to watch her thinkin' wheels turn and to see her little neurons firing and forming bridges across her brain - it's amazing.  Yesterday, when we got home from our walk, she said "there's our house!"  That's normal.  Then, she said, "There are threeeeeee cars!"  That was correct.  But, then, as we passed our neighbors cars, she said "This one is Don's car and this one is Myra's car, and THIS one is Abby's car!"

Things like that.  I didn't even know she knew our neighbor's names...let alone which car they each drove.

Another example.  I woke up the other day to find her playing in her little play area.  She had found some CDs and gotten them out of their cases.  As soon as she saw me, she says "Oh! Look!"  And she turns all the CD's over - cover side down.  She flips over the first one and says, "This one is red"  It was, it had a red label.  Then the second, "And this one is orange"  Yep.  She did this with the next two - telling me what color their front was as she flipped them over.  Then, she got to the last one.  When she flipped it over, it wasn't colored - it was just silver like the back of the CD was.  But, she doesn't know the word silver.  So, she paused and said "This one?  This one not red or orange.  This one not green.  This one...this one is shiny!  This one is mirror-color.  This one is pweetttty"  :)  She really liked it.  I taught her the word silver, and she got it.  She pointed out that "mommy's watch is silver too"

Earth-shattering genius?  Maybe not.  But, awesome to watch her learn? Yes. Definitely.

Let's keep going, shall we?

She's funny too.  As toddler's are wont to do, she's constantly saying funny phrases and being silly.  A lot of the things she says are probably only funny to me and Kyle, but we enjoy them nonetheless.  I've blogged before about her imaginary animals.  Lately, it's been a cow.  Usually, it's a sheep.  And, most of the time, the cow or sheep are "hiding on the couch"  She knows she's being silly, but she loves it when we play along and ask her where the sheep is and tell her we can't find it.  She just loves it.  The other day, I asked her if she wanted to give the baby a hug.  She said "ok, then we find Abby sheep?"  When she said that, it was accompanyied with this expression that very clearly said, "ok mom, sure, I'll play along with your little baby fantasy, but you've got to pretend you see sheep when we're done, ok?"  I mean, it was clear as day that she thought I was being silly and that she was humoring me.  She may have even rolled her eyes.

So, this baby thing should be interesting.  ;)  I actually do think she "gets it" more than that, but at that moment?  She totally thought I just wanted to play my imaginary game.

Finally, I think Abs is gorgeous.  I mean, of COURSE I do, right?  That's part of my main job description.  And, honestly, I don't see many toddlers that I think aren't. There's something about that age  that just makes them glow or something.  But, there are so many times that I look at her and think "I helped make her?"  It blows me away that I had a hand in that.

is it wrong to be jealous of your kid's hair?  

The bottom line of what I'm trying to convey is that I'm really proud to be Abby's mom.  I'm lucky to be her mom and she's a blessing.  Yes, of COURSE, we have our moments that I need to walk away from her to keep my head on straight.  But, really, the majority of our days are good.  And, I'm thankful for that.  I'm thankful that Abby gives me more hugs than I can count every day.  I laugh every time she hugs my leg or neck and says "mommy, I'm so proud of you!"  I soak up her affection, her mannerisms, and her day to day antics with all my heart....and then I blog about them so I don't forget one day.  ;)

And, would you look at that?  I've done used up all the batteries in this here blinkin' flashin' sequin covered mom hat.  I'll give you guys a respite while I go charge them back up.  ;)

In the meantime, enjoy your Monday.

4 comments:

*Jen* said...

I love the "tippies" photo in the previous post. Love!

I relate to all of this. I think being mom of a toddler is most rewarding & fun thing I've ever done!

Anonymous said...

If you were in Arkansas, you could often spot me wearing my sequined,flashing, brag buttoned Granny hat. Seriously and unbiased, she really is amazing. By the way, so are you.

Granny

jennybee said...

Adorable. Both of you.

Love,
Sequined-hatted sister/aunt.

Heather said...

Awwww very sweet. :)

background

counter