Saturday, March 19, 2011

just stuff

Thursday was gorgeous, and Friday didn't disappoint.  We gladly welcomed the burst of spring air passing through the area as everyone left their big coats at home and wore brighter colors.  It was nice.  I had a lot to get done at work, and actually had a pretty productive day - but I was ready to get home and ready to enjoy the sunshine.

Abby had spent the entire day outside with the nanny and was taking a nap when I got home.  She usually sleeps for another hour or so after I arrive.  But, not yesterday.  She got up about 15 mins after I got home.  Since she'd been asleep for close to an hour...and I wanted to go outside too...I just let her.  She reads on her own after her nap.  It's cute.  She gets out of bed, goes to her play area, sits in her chair, pulls up a stack of books and starts "reading" them.  She'll do this until I whistle.

I don't know when I started whistling for her - a few months ago?  Now it's just a fun habit/ritual.  I whistle from downstairs and she hears it and laughs.  Every time I whistle - she laughs.  And more often than not, she runs to the gate to wait for me saying "mommy came home again!"

Anyway.  Back to Friday.  Abs woke up early, so we headed out.

I mentioned how I broke my camera lens the other day.  More specifically, the auto focus.  I was very sad about that.  I decided to take it into the camera store just to see what they would say, although I was fully prepared for them to tell me that it would be cheaper to buy a new lens than fix it.  The older gentleman at the counter took a look at it, tried another lens, tested the camera, then tried mine again.  He asked when I'd bought it and I told him about 2 weeks ago.

He goes to the back, pulls out a new box and sets it on the counter in front of me and says "you're all set"  Yep - he just gave me a brand new lens!  I was speechless and quite happy.  He said "there's definitely something wrong with yours, here you go"  It made. my. day.

So, with a heart full of happy, a sky full of sunshine, and afternoon to spend - Abs and I headed to the park. She'd spent all morning there, but it didn't take a lot of convincing to get her to go again.  She kept saying "I go to the park Again!  I go with Mommy now!"

she still loves the swings. 

Abby has a little friend from the playgroup we attend on Tuesdays.  We were happy to run into them there at the park.  It was one of the first, if not only, time that's happened to me.  Running into people you know just doesn't happen as often here as it does in the south.  Bigger city, more people, plus I know fewer folks too...so, it's a little extra special for me when I actually run into a friend.  I enjoyed talking with the mom while the girls played.


peek-a-boo!


We played for an hour and a half or so at the park and Abs wasn't ready to leave when it was time.  I could have stayed too, honestly.  It was just so nice outside.  But, alas, we needed to get on with things.  We picked up Kyle at work and all headed to the grocery store for a quick few items.

Since Kyle was with me, and we were only getting a few things - we decided to try something new.  We let Abby walk instead of ride in a cart AND we let her bring in her own grocery bag.  She did SO well. It helped that the store wasn't busy.  We let Abby pick out some strawberries.  Then, she saw the cucumbers and decided she needed one of those as well.  She carried "Abby's food" all over the store - taking breaks when it got heavy -but not letting anyone help her.  I mean, she was just beaming with how proud she was of herself. :)

I only remembered to snap a picture as we were leaving - and this was as she was getting protective.  She didn't want to put her food on the belt at first.  Here she is hugging the cucumber saying "no, Abby keep it?"

But, she did give it up, and the baggers were nice enough to put her food back in her bag.  She's growing up so fast.


As for today?  It's been laaaaazy.  We did go through Abby's old clothes and pulled out the gender neutral stuff we had.  It's all washed and folded and waiting baby now.  Weird.  Those things are tiny.  The only other productive thing I did today was cook.  I'd planned to cook corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day - but I was too tired.  So, we had it tonight.  I'd never made it before, but I was pleased with how it turned out.  Especially considering how cheap the meal was - it was a win-win.

don't worry, the beer was for Kyle ;)

and of course, a green dessert was in order as well. 
(pistachio pudding = YUMMO)

So far the weekend has been good.  A little unplanned, a little lazy, but not bad.  And I'll take that.

1 comment:

REA said...

I love hearing about your adventures with Abby! Give her an extra hug "from me."

background

counter