Wednesday, March 23, 2011

7 years

Once upon a time a girl named Laura had a crush on a boy named Kyle.

Luckily, the boy named Kyle felt the same way.  And after months and months of being best friends, working together, studying together, spending lots of time together and growing more and more fond of each other - the boy asked the girl to be his girlfriend.

Well, his actual words were "I know you know I like you.  So, should we give this a shot?"
And my response was, "Um, we can try"

That first week was awkward.  We were best friends who suddenly had given themselves a new label.  We didn't know how to act - should I hug him?  Do we hold hands now?  Do we just pretend like nothing's changed?  The week after Kyle asked me out was our Spring break and I had to work, but the dorms were closed, and I needed a place to stay.  So, Kyle's family let me stay with them (a theme that would be repeated much later on as well. ;)

It was 10 days after Kyle had asked me out.  I was about to go to bed, so I went to tell him goodnight.  I gave him a hug and he lifted my chin and kissed me.  First kiss. March 23rd 2004.

I didn't know, at that point, that I would marry him.  It took me another week to figure that out.
(No lie, I knew two weeks in, I can remember the exact moment that I thought to myself - I'm going to marry him.  We were stuck in traffic on I-40.  I remember it all, clear as crystal.)

I certainly didn't know we'd be here, where we are now, just 7 years later.

I suppose we've had our bad moments.  Our fights, our spats, our stressors, our moods.  But nothing specific comes to mind when I try to recall them.  When I think back on the past 7 years - it's all been so good.

This morning, I came downstairs with Abs and Kyle had made coffee.  I was standing by the counter pouring myself a cup and appreciating how the sun was filling the kitchen and making everything seem warm...nearly springlike.  I remembered, then, that today marked 7 years since our first kiss and I just stood there and took everything in.  The thought that filled my head was "and look at as now"  I was ready for work - sipping a cup of (perfectly delicious) hot coffee.  Abby was eating breakfast and happily chattering away in her high chair.  Kyle answered her questions while he buttoned the top buttons of his dress shirt and packed his work bag.  I just stood there and watched them interact for a bit.  Baby kicked.  And I was reminded that not only have we managed to raise this amazing toddler, but we have another one on the way.  The whole scene was spectacularly normal, just two parents getting ready for work in the morning, but I was overwhelmed with how lucky I am.

And, maybe I cried a little bit.  But only because I was really happy (and, yes, ok, fine -also really hormonal) But mostly just happy.

Kyle.  Thank you for asking me out, even if you were scared to.  And thank you for kissing me, even if I was being painfully shy.  And thank you for everything in between then and now, even when I make things difficult.  My life is so happy because of you and I just thought you should know that.

14 comments:

Pieni Lintu said...

congratulations!!! :)

hannah said...

The first time I met Kyle, it was so obvious that you two had been made for each other.

I love it that you can't remember anything specific you fought over. Abs and this new baby are so lucky.

REA said...

Your mother says she knew you would marry Kyle the first time you told her about him. You protested too many times that it was "no big deal."

I had different impressions, but remember very well when Kyle did the "old-fashioned" thing and actually asked me for your hand in marriage.

And now we both love each of you!

Love,
Daddy

Heather said...

Sickeningly, awesomely sweet. ;)

Billie Jo said...

As someone who watched this all unfold, I can say that this is how it was all meant to be. Your "friendship" with Kyle was painful for the rest of us for a long time because it was so obvious that you were so good for each other. And I remember being soooo excited when he finally asked you to marry him. Your coupleness is a better fit for Ricky and I than we deserve in friendships! So thankful for both of you and especially for your relationship!

Jessica said...

Awww. You made me puke in my mouth a little ;)

*Jen* said...

so sweet!

jennybee said...

*sniffle*

Anonymous said...

I remember the day you took me aside after a visit at Justin Taylor's house. You said you had to tell somebody because you wanted somebody else to know for proof down the road that you knew Kyle was the one for you. I felt so excited at that moment. Because if you knew it, I knew you knew it. I'm so happy you've found your happily ever after. :)

~Leah

Kaylee said...

Aww what a great post! Both of your parents should be very proud of the both of you! :)

Kristin said...

what a very cute post! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

As I wipe away the tears, I am reminded of how this wonderful courtship unfolded too. That shy young lady who spent the spring break in our house.......to the beautiful, radiant bride on her wedding day.....to the awesome mother of (almost) 2. Knowing my precious, sweet Kyle all of his life, it was SO obvious that he had found his soulmate. And how blessed we, as his parents, felt because he so deserved someone like you, Laura. There is no doubt that God had a hand in all of this. He made you two for each other. Deo Gratias! And happy 7th anniversary!

We love you, all 3 1/2 of you!

Ouma

Kikki said...

I LOVE YOU LAWA.  It seems like just yesterday: I was sitting outside of Hollender’s several nights a week… so eager to get home after school then afterschool sports then picking Kyle up… and watching the taekwondo class come to an end and like clockwork he’d hang around the front desk and chitchat it up with you and giggle away or throw a wicked knifehand-strike to (what I assumed) was an attempt to impress you/excuse to graze your cardboard white uniform (even though I imagined you beating him up during class)… and it always took more than two honks to get him to even ‘try’ to look for my car directly on the other side of the glass window where you were both standing, so we could be on our way… I’d give him a hard time on the way home about having a crush on ‘the girl up front’ but he would throw the “we’re just friends (*insert the infamous Kyle sheepish grin*)”… I remember purposely going inside one day just to give the ‘HI -I’m kyle’s twin…’ but you already knew who I was :D 
Dudette, life pre-laura is a total blur and it seems like you’ve been my pseudo-twin in a weird kinda way for as long as I can remember.  Twins are pretty cool and all, but I couldn’t have dreamed a better sidekick (pun intended) for my other half and I couldn’t have requested a more marvelous mut-addition.  Seriously, you’re the upgrade a family prays for and when I grow up I want to be like you.  xoxox and see you in 4 weeks!!

REA said...

We love Laura, Kyle, Abby and "?" so much. certainly has the feel of 'it was meant to be'.

Granny

background

counter