Sunday, March 13, 2011

thumper

I think it was Thumper who was told "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

It's not bad advice, y'know.  

But, it's part of the reason I've been slow on the blogging this week.  I've had too much complaining going through my head, and I didn't want to litter the blog with post after post about back pain and braxton hicks and being tired.  blah blah blah. 

Plus, y'all, these hormones.  I've often prided myself on being a calm, easy-going, logical personality.  But, lately, I have a hairline trigger on my annoyance meter.  And you know what?  The most annoying thing isn't the actual event that annoyed me - but knowing that I'm over reacting and not being able to stop it.  Not being able to control my feelings.  It just makes me angry at myself, frustrated at myself...but that's a difficult thing to express, and it's OH so much easier to just take it out on something (or, umm,..someone) else.  No, I'm not really that upset about the restaurant having a 45 minute wait, I'm actually upset about 400 other little things that I've been trying so so so hard to keep inside because none of them matter, but it's a lot easier to blame the restaurant.

Anyway.  Most of you should be glad you don't have to live with me right now.  All of you should pray for Kyle.  I'm trying, I am. 

So, back to something more positive, eh?  How about a quick recap of our day.  I've got an early morning and these bones are done. done. Done. for the day.  Gonna finish up this post and try to let my body rest.

Sunday morning playtime.  Making her "castle"

This one is my favorite picture of the day.  Because it is symbolic - to me.  The tights, the tiptoes, the little legs...it summarizes toddlerhood in a snapshot.

playing with more toys 

just another snapshot that captured the essence of the morning

This afternoon, Abs and I took a walk in the brisk afternoon air.  We brought out treasure box...which hasn't been out since early fall.

It was chilly, so we stopped for a "tweat" of hot chocolate (and coffee for mommy). While walking up to order, Abby dropped her entire treasure box of sticks and rocks.  She was momentarily devastated.  I was trying to prevent a meltdown, order our drinks to keep from holding up the line, pick up rocks, and hold about 5 other things without dropping them.  I'm guessing it's the 8.5month pregnant belly that did it, but I was so thankful for the nice lady who stepped in to help Abby pick up her rocks - and thankful for the nice cashier who didn't roll his eyes at us, but instead, offered Abby a special sticker. 
  

Then we went to watch trains....of course.  

Then we came home and I somehow found the energy to bathe and bed the child and tidy the house before sitting down here.  

I really don't remember feeling like this when I was pregnant with Abs.  I can't tell if I'm just more worn out because I'm also dealing with a toddler this time around or if it is simply a result of a different kind of pregnancy.  Maybe it means I'm having a boy, maybe it means I'm old, maybe it just means I'm not as strong as I used to be.  I dunno.  But, I'm really trying to focus on the good and the positive and the happy things. 

....just don't look at me wrong, k?

;o)

5 comments:

hannah said...

Want my opinion?

From someone in a very similar situation...I think it's the whole "being a mom while being a mom". I used to think that I deserved as much credit on mothers day when just being pregnant as any mother out there.

Wrong. Carrying a baby IS hard work. Totally. But carrying a baby while being a mother is completely a different story.

I sometimes sit on pratts bed, reading him books...wishing I wasn't about to cry from exhaustion. Meanwhile my adorable husband (who I love more than life itself) is laughing soooo loud at a dvrd Saturday night live skit. While eating skittles and sour patch kids. Meanwhile I haven't eaten anything because I cannot stop burping.

Okay. Um...I'm off subject.

I love you Laura. And you aren't alone. Being a Minnie hard. Being a good mom is even more difficult :)

hannah said...

Stupid iPhone.

Minnie!? Idk.

Being a mom is hard. Being a good mom is even more difficult....

jennybee said...

Love you. Love your photos. Love that you're hopefully getting sleep now or soon.

REA said...

Dear Supermom Laura:

Thank you for being such a good mother to Abby and great wife for Kyle. You have learned to balance what for many people would be an impossibly complex set of activities and responsibilities. We are SO proud of you!

I think Hannah is correct. You are tired now because you ARE doing more work than ever before. You do have a lot of responsibility on your small and aching bone structure. There really ARE hormones gushing around inside of you that turn you from God's Gift to Children to Godzilla in the turn of a phrase.

We still love you!

Six more weeks (we think fewer) and you'll deal with a different set of responsibilities, relationships, and hormones. But you know what? Although it's hard for you, women have been doing this for a long, long time--and more importantly, gone THROUGH the experience with flying colors.

Rest, exercise, hydrate, and pray a lot! You are preparing for something wonderful, even if it doesn't feel like it now.

(I know you knew all this, but it made me feel better to say it...part of Daddy's Book of Things to Share.)

We are looking forward to seeing you again...just trying to find the time and the $$ to make the wish a reality.

Love,

Daddy and Mom

Billie Jo said...

Love you. Hang in there. Hormones do crazy things to us, don't they? We are certainly praying for all of you and miss you so very much.

background

counter